Saturday, January 1, 2011

General Ideas and Practices (wherein Robert explains the method behind his madness)

Every brewer has their thoughts and theories on brewing.  Some like one thing, others another.  This page is for my own brewing proclivities (and a bit of the reasoning behind them).  

First Wort Hopping - Most of my beers tend to have a first wort hops addition.  I like the nice smooth hop flavor I get out of this method.  While I enjoy a good hop flavor, I'm not a big fan of that hope bite you get in some beers.  FWH seems to avoid this while providing a great aroma in the process.

High Gravity - Most of the beers I do are high gravity.  I like big strong beers.  Not to say I don't enjoy a good session beer, but as I get older I generally don't have more than one or two beers in a given evening.  This has led me to a decision to enjoy bigger beers in lower quantity. If you look around, you'll see there are a couple session beers listed - I *can* make a decent one.  Unfortunately, when I do, I tend to go through them like a fish through water.

Amarillo Hops - I admit it, I love this hop.  I try and work it into every damn recipe (though I know I shouldn't).  But I love it.  Sue me. :D

Wheat Malt - I like to add a bit of wheat to my beers for head retention.  It's probably something in my setup or water, but head retention in my beers tends to be a bit lousy unless I add it.  

Hop Balance - I read an article a while back (linked in the spreadsheet to the left) about Bitterness Value as a method of providing hop/wort balance.  There are a number of ways to go about this, and again, every brewer has his own leanings.  Personally, the beers I have made using this method have all turned out quite well.  So, like a baseball player with his pre-batting idiosyncracies I keep using it.  Take a look, and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment